All of us have different body shapes (and that's okay!). It's also quite common to have one body shape or a combination of several.
We, at Gulaal, believe in celebrating every body type and handcrafting clothes that bring out the best features of the Gulaal Tribe.
So here's a handy guide for determining your body shape, choosing the best dress style that will go with it and what to avoid while dressing up.
Remember that these are not stringent rules that you MUST follow. They are simply starting points that will allow you to embrace and flaunt the uniqueness of your body. We understand that so many guidelines can frazzle a fashion-fuelled mind so we encourage you to take it slow and love your body, regardless of which category it falls in.
Without further ado, these are the 4 most commonly talked about body types and their descriptions so that you can decide which body shape you've got.
- A curvy figure
- Well-defined waist
- Bust and hips' measurement is in alignment
- You may have a fuller bust, hips and thighs
- When the waist is wider than the bust
- Fuller hips
- Narrower shoulders in comparison to your hips
- A fuller rear
3. Athletic (rectangle shape)
- Not particularly curvy
- Your shoulders' and hip measurements are nearly the same
- Your waist is straight up and down
- You have a fairly evenly distributed weight
- Well-proportioned body
- Shoulders are broader than hips
- You aren't necessarily curvy in your hips
- You may not have a well-defined waistline
How to Dress an Hourglass-Shaped Body
- Your ladylike figure can be shown off effectively if you dress in a way that defines your waist and brings out your feminine shape.
- Body-hugging silhouettes that highlight your curves will be ideal.
- The wrap dress as well as the fit & flare silhouette are your best friends. They will help you embrace your gorgeous figure.
- Your legs will also look like an asset in mini dresses. If you like covering'em up, go for high-waisted skirts that fall right below the knee.
- If you're too confused about what will suit you and what won't, just settle for simple silhouettes in solid, dark colours.
What to avoid
Loose-fitting dresses will draw attention away from your well-defined waist. Still, if you would like to wear one, we suggest adding a belt so that your best features can be brought to the surface.
How to Dress a Pear-Shaped Body
- Remember to play with the proportions that elongate your body.
- The good news is that the limit doesn't exist when it comes to choosing dresses for a pear-shaped body!
- From embellished necklines, open backs, dramatic sleeves to belted styles, you can opt for it all.
- A-line silhouettes and anything that falls just below your knee will successfully accentuate your frame and slenderize those hips and thighs. Maxi dresses are also a great choice for flaunting your figure.
What to avoid
Avoid detailing and pockets around the hips which can draw attention to your lower area. Stay miles away from ruffles and other styles that add volume to your hips. Skirts with heavy horizontal details are also a no-no. Last but not least, dresses with straight cuts will make you appear heavier than you are.
How to Dress a Rectangle-Shaped Body
- If your body shape has the word 'athletic' in it, we don't see any reason for you to feel insecure about it. You can flaunt ANYTHING!
- Start by accentuating your legs and other curves. The primary tip is to keep the volume either at the top OR bottom.Balance it out with an oversized top + skinny jeans or a fitted top + breezy, loose-fitting pant.
- As for dresses, most styles will look good on you. It's all about deciding which feature you want to flaunt.
- Strapless dresses, one-pieces with plunging necklines and skirts of any length will suit your body type.
- Even dark colours, vertical stripes and A-line styles are your ultimate saviours. A thin belt on a dress will also highlight your best features.
What to avoid
Shapeless clothing that looks boxy on your frame can be avoided. Why so? Because instead of accentuating your figure, it will exaggerate it.
Also, dodge straight skirts that don’t show off your waist.
How to Dress an Apple-Shaped Body
Before we start, here's a little PSA:
Apple body shape and inverted-triangle body shape are somewhat similar. Except apple shapes carry a little more in their midsection while inverted triangles do not.
Back to the guidelines that can be followed...
- If you have an apple-shaped body, we encourage you to flaunt your full bust, amazing legs and/arms.
- When it comes to dresses, pick one that's strapless and low-necked. Even a wrap dress will do wonders on your body type!
- Knee-length shift dresses will also do the deed. To appear slimmer, you can always go for dark colours and diagonal stripes.
Experimentation is key here. After all, it's what makes you feel most comfortable that should end up in your wardrobe. These guidelines are simply meant to help you dress according to the body you've been gifted.
What to avoid
Silhouettes that are not proposed with a traditionally structured waistline can be hard to work with. Plus, introducing imbalance in your top and bottom area by pairing an oversized top with a form-fitting bottom may throw things off balance. In this case, we suggest focusing on creating a defined top-half instead.
If you still have questions about which dress type will successfully flaunt your body’s curves, DM us on Instagram and we’ll be more than happy to be your Style Gurus.